Frida Kahlo on the Cover of Vogue
October 30, 2012
Artist Frida Kahlowill appear on the cover of Vogue for the first time ever. Almost 60 years after her death, the photo of Frida, taken by photographer Nickolas Muray in 1939, will appear on the cover of Vogue Mexico’s November 2012 issue. The magazine will hit newsstands just before the November 22nd opening of “Appearances Can Be Deceiving: The Dresses of Frida Kahlo” at the Frida Kahlo Museum in Mexico City. Frida Kahlo did appear once in the pages of U.S. Vogue, in the October, 1937 edition; but this is her first time on the iconic magazine’s cover.
The collector’s edition of Vogue will feature a story about Kahlo’s exhibition, her unique style and her influence on designers like Jean Paul Gaultier and Comme des Garcons’s Rei Kawakubo who have designed collections inspired by the incredible artist who certainly suffered for her art.
Born just before the Mexican revolution, Frida became the voice of modern Mexico, especially for women. At the age of six, Frida contracted polio, which caused her right leg to be much thinner than the other. She experienced a tumultuous marriage with famous Mexican artist Diego Rivera and suffered from several health problems, most of which were caused by an accident she experienced as a teenager, which left her in severe pain for most of her life.
Frida Kahlo was a visionary surrealist artist with a style that was all her own and ahead of her time. She broke away from what everyone was wearing in the 1930s, ordering her own fabric from around the world and designing her own clothes. Her style was bold and exotic, often combining traditional Mexican patterns and lines with her own vision. She has influenced fashion designers for years and her style will live on in the pages of Vogue and in her piercing and vibrant paintings.
Vogue México Frida Kahlo from retrovisual on Vimeo.
- Weddings by EPI Fall Style Shoot
- A Very Pink Chic Birthday Bash in Laguna
- Elite Productions International Produces Top 100 Event in the Country by BizBash
- Elite Productions International is named among Top 50 Event Companies of 2019 by Special Events
- One Black Tent, Two-Night Party
- Presidential Pink | EPI celebrates the installment of its VP to President of MPI OC with a Rock Opera
- For the Love of Purple Engagement Party
- BizBash Covers EPI's Rock Opera Inspired Event and Floral Design at the Nixon Library and Museum
- After Party at the Sheats Goldstein Residence
- EPI's Pawntra Shadab is the recipient of the 2019 Smart Women In Meetings Award